Manikyadhara Falls Chikmagalur Entry Fee
- No Entry Fee
Manikyadhara Falls Chikmagalur Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 70 reviews
Manikyadhara Falls Chikmagalur Address: Bababudan Giri Rd, Nagenahalli, Chikmagalur, Karnataka, 577131, India
Manikyadhara Falls is among the famous waterfalls in Chikmagalur. Manikyadhara means a string of pearls. And the beauty of the water falling through lush vegetation is something you must witness.
Manikyadhara Waterfalls is a perennial cascading waterfall. You can visit it at all times of the year. It's an excellent location for a day trip. In its green and unspoilt surroundings, you can spend some quality time with loved ones. It's an idyllic location offering a refreshing break from daily life.
Besides its breath-taking scenic appeal, the waterfall is believed to have healing power against many ailments. It's a sacred pilgrimage site for both Hindus and Muslims. It's also called Nellikai Theertham by the local people.
The waterfall is frequented by trekkers and nature enthusiasts too. The area has some amazing trekking trails. The grounds provide camping opportunities as well.
Where is Manikyadhara Falls in Chikmagalur?
Manikyadhara Falls is on the Baba Budan Giri Hills. It's about 7 km away from the shrine of Baba Budan Giri (or Dattatreya Peeta), after whom this hilly terrain is named. And it's one of the main attractions of the region.
History of Manikyadhara Falls
As per the legends, a Sufi saint, Hazrat Dada Hayat Mir Qalandhar came to these hills in the 7th century. He visited the site with his disciples in search of water. When he couldn't find any, he prayed. Thus, the rocks parted to give way to this gushing stream of water, which came to be called Manikyadhara Waterfall.
The shrine nearby has two stories associated with it. Muslims say it belongs to Baba Budan, an Arab Sufi saint who came here in the 17th century. But Hindus believe it to be the seat of Dattatreya. So, the place holds significant religious importance for both Hindus and Muslims.
Image Gallery of Manikyadhara Falls Chikmagalur
Things to do at Manikyadhara Falls
1. Soak in the scenic beauty – Manikyadhara Falls, amidst the surrounding mountains and caves, are picturesque. Its water doesn't dry even in summer. The surrounding scenic beauty attracts many people to visit it and admire its beauty. You'll find many watchtowers and places to take some rest on the way down to the fall.
2. Relax by the waterfall – If you don't want to go down to the pool, you can just relax and unwind on nearby open grounds. Pack some food from home and have a picnic with your friends or family. You can also enjoy time on your own, if you prefer, and unwind from hectic city life. The grounds are ideal for camping too.
3. Take a plunge into the pool – Manikyadhara Falls (or Nellikai Theertham) has religious importance among Hindus and Muslims. People believe the water is sacred and can cure various ailments. So, take a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear water of the pool below before heading to your next adventure. Well-laid steps and fences are present to make access to the pool convenient and safe. Many devotees also tie a piece of clothing on the fences after their bath to fulfil their wishes.
4. Trek down the hills – Nellikai Theertham is a paradise for trekkers and explorers. The entire Baba Budangiri range (also known as the Chandra Drona Parvatha) is a charming trekking site. Away from the commotion of the city, you'll get to enjoy some tranquillity. You can also see a beautiful sunset as you roam around.
5. Shop in the stores nearby – You'll find many shops around this waterfall. These local shops sell herbal medicines that claim to cure many diseases. Some shops also sell locally-produced jams, pickles and other items.
6. Visit Baba Budan Giri cave – When visiting Manikyadhara Waterfalls in Chikmagalur, you should also check the Baba Budan Giri cave shrine. It's a few km away from the waterfall, and both Hindus and Muslims revere it. You can trek or drive a car up there.
Manikyadhara Falls Timings and Entry Fee
Manikyadhara Falls is open 24 hours every day. But it's best if you visit it during the daytime, from 6 AM to 6 PM, to enjoy the most. You can spend time by the waterfall, take a holy bath in the pool, and trek to Baba Budan Giri caves.
There is no entry fee to Manikyadhara Falls. You can visit it free of charge.
Best time to visit Manikyadhara Falls Chikmagalur
Manikyadhara Falls near Chikmagalur can be visited throughout the year. The post-monsoon months, though, are the best to visit this waterfall. The weather remains pleasant at this time, making your trip enjoyable. The winter and spring months are also ideal.
So, it's best to explore Manikyadhara Falls between September and April.
Time to explore Manikyadhara Waterfalls
You can spend 2-3 hours at Manikyadhara Falls. And if you trek to the Dattatreya Peeta cave shrine, it takes another 2 hours. However, since the place is far from Chikmagalur, you'll need half a day for your visit to Manikyadhara Falls Chikmagalur.
Things to keep in mind when visiting Manikyadhara Falls
- A walk down 200 steps is required to reach the pool.
- Carry a bottle of water and your own food.
- Wear comfortable shoes for trekking.
How to reach Manikyadhara Falls from Chikmagalur?
Chikmagalur to Manikyadhara Falls distance is about 30 km. The nearest bus stop to the falls is in Chikmagalur town. The nearest major railway station is in Hassan, about 100 km from the falls. The nearest airport is in Mangaluru (around 200 km away).
Now, here's how to visit Manikyadhara Falls from Chikmagalur –
By taxis/cabs – The best and the most comfortable way to visit Manikyadhara Falls is by taking a taxi or private cab from top car rental companies in Chikmagalur. You can book it for an entire day and see the waterfall and other tourist spots of Chikmagalur. During your trip, you can also visit Baba Budan Giri cave, about 7 km away from the waterfall.
We at Chikmagalur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, are here to provide you the best experience while travelling to this beautiful hill station of Karnataka. Whether it is a family vacation or a romantic getaway with your loved one, we will ensure that you have the best time ever. So, what are you waiting for? Just book a Chikmagalur tour package with us so that we can arrange your entire stay at the perfect destination. For any queries, feel free to contact us via the Contact Us form.