Mahatma Gandhi Park Chikmagalur Entry Fee
- 20 per person for Adults
- 10 per person for Children
- 15 per person
Train Trip - 2 rounds around the park (On all days except on Monday)
Mahatma Gandhi Park Chikmagalur Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 49 reviews
Mahatma Gandhi Park Chikmagalur Address: Rathnagiri Bore, Chikmagalur, Karnataka, 577101, India
Mahatma Gandhi Park, also known as Ratnagiri Bore or M G Park is located in the northern part of Chikmagalur. This park was inaugurated on 1st January 1967 by the then Vice President of India, Mr. Zakir Hussain. It is a beautiful garden located against the backdrop of Mullayanagiri Hill. You can experience the charm of lush greenery and tranquility which makes this place a peaceful site.
The park has many attractions for kids and adults. It is a popular tourist spot ideal for picnics and family vacations. There are well-maintained flower beds and manicured lawns along with a nursery. They have different species of plants with a wide variety of flowering plants. The park offers a relaxing and secure ambiance for visitors. There are several fun activities to keep your kids busy.
Layout of Mahatma Gandhi Park
A well-maintained park blanketed by lush green grass and a thicket of trees, the Mahatma Gandhi Park has many spots for sitting and relaxing. At the entrance gate of Mahatma Gandhi Park, there is a big statue of Mahatma Gandhi. The park has beautifully designed pathways, steps, and well-maintained lawns. Various types of colorful flowers, plants are well placed to enhance the beauty of the park. There is a pond in the park embellished with some statues and a beautiful fountain.
The park has a treehouse which is a popular attraction alongside the well-sculpted caves. An amphitheater is also built on the premises to support a totally new concept of mini outdoor stage activity. For the kids, the park has swings, slides, and many other outdoor games. Other attractions of MG Park are an open-air gym and a toy train track.
History of Mahatma Gandhi Park
On 1st January 1967, the Mahatma Gandhi Park was opened for visitors. The park was inaugurated by the then Vice President of India, Mr. Zakir Hussain. In the early days, this park was just a place for morning joggers and walkers. It also had an aquarium then and attracted nature lovers. Some years later the park was closed down by the local administration due to trouble from chaotic elements. Later on, the park was reopened. It has been renovated beautifully and is the Mahatma Gandhi Park we see today.
Image Gallery of Mahatma Gandhi Park Chikmagalur
Things to do at Mahatma Gandhi Park
1. Toy Train Ride: You can enjoy a ride of the Ratnagiri Toy Train inside the Mahatma Gandhi Park. It is a prominent attraction for both kids and adults. The train takes you for a round of around 1 kilometer around the park allowing you to explore the park while enjoying the fun ride.
2. Open Air Gym: Mahatma Gandhi Park has an open-air gym for both kids and adults. It is a perfect spot for fitness enthusiasts who can exercise in the lap of nature.
3. Kids Zone: Kids can enjoy a variety of swings and slides in the park.
4. Caves: Artificial caves have been maintained in the park where visitors can have fun exploring the insides of the attraction.
5. Treehouse: The park houses a treehouse that offers a beautiful view of the park.
6. Eateries: There are some small shops inside the park where you can purchase refreshments and local eatables from them.
7. The park offers a view of the Chikmagalur district central prison.
Popular activities to do at Mahatma Gandhi Park
- Mahatma Gandhi Park houses an Amphitheater where you can enjoy several arts, crafts, and cultural shows throughout the year.
- You can enjoy the musical fountain show at the Mahatma Gandhi Park.
- The park is a very pleasant place to walk, sit and relax while enjoying the serenity of nature.
- You can enjoy the view of the Nehru Rose Garden consisting of about 250 varieties of the rose plant.
- You can explore the beauty of more than 300 species of plants and trees. It is an attractive opportunity for nature lovers and students.
- A pond enhances the beauty of the park. Watching ducks in a pond is a popular activity at the park.
Entry Fee and Timings of Mahatma Gandhi Park
Entry fees of Mahatma Gandhi Park is INR 20 for adults and INR 10 for children. The Toy Train ticket costs INR 15 per person per round.
Timings of Mahatma Gandhi Park are 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM on all days of the week. Although the park is open throughout the year yet months from September to March would be the best time to visit it. These months are perfect according to the climate and weather conditions of the region.
How to reach Mahatma Gandhi Park
Located to the North of Chikmagalur district, Mahatma Gandhi Park is well connected with its neighboring cities through various modes. Road connectivity to Mahatma Gandhi Park is very good. You can have many transport options to reach there like autos, buses or a cab. The best ways to reach Mahatma Gandhi Park are:
By Air: Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore is the nearest airport to Mahatma Gandhi Park, Chikmagalur. It is about 250 kilometers from Bangalore Airport. From the airport, you can hire a cab or bus to Mahatma Gandhi Park. It is well connected by road and you can reach the park in around 5 hrs from the nearest airport at Bangalore.
By Road: Road connectivity to Mahatma Gandhi Park park is very good. You can hire a cab from top car rental companies in Chikmagalur, or take a bus or an auto to reach this park. State bus services also ply in Chikmagalur, connecting it well with neighboring cities.
By Rail: The nearest railway station to Mahatma Gandhi Park is Chikmagalur railway station. It is at a distance of 6 kilometers and is well connected by cabs and other local transport. You can hire cabs, or autos to reach the Mahatma Gandhi Park.
Interesting facts about Mahatma Gandhi Park
- Mahatma Gandhi Park was opened as a simple park for walkers and joggers. It was later on developed and renovated to how we see it today.
- Toy Train, Tree House, Amphitheater, open-air Gym are the main attractions of this park.
- The greenhouse with 300 floral species and Nehru Garden with 250 rose flowers make this park more attractive for nature lovers.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Mahatma Gandhi Park
- The toy train is still functional and carries at least 10 passengers at a time.
- Mahatma Gandhi Park is government property, you must ensure to not spit and litter it. Do not throw any waste or garbage in the park.
- Purchase your entry ticket from the ticket counter and keep it ready to show while entering the park.
Planning to visit Chikmagalur during your next holiday? Book a full-fledged Chikmagalur tour package with us to enjoy the best sights and attractions of the hill station. We at Chikmagalur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, specialize in designing all-inclusive Chikmagalur tour packages based on your budget and holiday style. If you are looking for a customized package that helps you cover the topmost places in Chikmagalur, feel free to contact our team of experts by filling the Contact Us form.