Bhadra Dam Chikmagalur Entry Fee
- No Entry Fee
Bhadra Dam Chikmagalur Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 47 reviews
Bhadra Dam Chikmagalur Address: Vadiyuru, Chikmagalur, Karnataka, 577115, India
The beautiful Bhadra Dam is situated in the district of Chikmagalur, Karnataka. The dam holds great importance, being situated on the river of the same name - Bhadra. It was built in 1947 and since then has been hailed as one of India's most successful multi-purpose water projects.
Bhadra Dam is known for the natural beauty of its surroundings. Bhadra wildlife sanctuary and Bhadra Reservoir are some important places near the dam. Surrounded by lush greenery, the Bhadra Dam is tucked in the lap of mother nature offering a rejuvenating experience. There are many beautiful sightseeing spots and amazing places to explore near this Dam. The dam also offers a lot of fun and adventure activities for tourists of all age groups.
Architecture of Bhadra Dam
Bhadra Dam is constructed across the Bhadra river, near Lakkavalli village. Its imposing structure is constructed at an elevation of 601 meters above main sea level. The construction of this dam started in the year 1946-47 and was completed in 1962-63.
Bhadra Dam and Reservoir system are composed of a masonry dam and 4 saddle dams. The magnificent masonry dam is constructed to the main valley in the river gorge portion with a central spillway, and 3 saddles have been bent up with earthen embankments. The maximum height of the dam is around 71 meters above the lowest foundation level and 59 meters from the average river bed level making it an amazing sight to behold.
The total length of the dam is an astounding 1708 meters and its gross storage capacity is 71.50 TMC. Located in the Krishna River Basin, the dam has a catchment area of 1968 Sq. Km. The Bhadra Dam’s total irrigation potential is 162818 Hectares and its 4 power gauges generate around 40 Megawatts of hydropower.
History of Bhadra Dam
Bhadra Dam is constructed across the river Bhadra, which is a tributary of the river Tungabhadra. The dam is located on the border of Bhadrawati and Tarikere in the western part of Karnataka. It was undertaken by the National Water Management project and rice cultivation was the main intention of this project.
Designed by Sir M V Visvesvaray, the dam was constructed between 1946-47 and commissioned in 1965. Facilitating irrigation and water storage, the dam also provides power for villages and towns nearby. The length of this dam is 1708 meters and its width is 59 meters. River Bhadra originates at Gangamoola near Kudremukh in the Western Ghats range.
Things to do at Bhadra Dam
- Water Adventures: You can make your visit to Bhadra Dam memorable by enjoying many popular water sports. Indulge in adrenaline-gushing activities like kayaking, water trampoline, water cycling, sailing, and boating.
- Camping: Bhadra Dam provides the perfect site to enjoy a picnic with your loved ones. You can also plan a one-day camping trip to the dam. It is safe to camp at the dam and enjoy the natural beauty of the verdant surroundings.
- Jeep Safari: The Bhadra Tiger Reserve is home to the region’s vibrant flora and fauna. You can explore its beauty by booking a Jeep Safari organized by the Forest Department.
- Boating in the Bhadra Reservoir is a popular activity to enjoy at Bhadra Dam.
- Seek blessings of the almighty at the Lakshmi Narasimha temple. It is located in the old town area of Bhadrawati. The 13th-century temple was built by Veeranarasimha, the grandson of Vishnuvardhana.
- You can enjoy the great vista of the dam when its gates are opened and water is released through them.
- The dam offers a great opportunity to take your kids closer to nature and educate them about the importance of conservation of wildlife and heritage.
Image Gallery of Bhadra Dam Chikmagalur
Popular activities to do at Bhadra Dam
- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the popular attractions near Bhadra Dam popularly known as Muthodi Wildlife Sanctuary. The sanctuary is a great place to witness tigers. You can enjoy a Jeep Safari and get the opportunity to spot a wide variety of mammals, reptiles, and birds.
- Bhadra Dam is the perfect place to enjoy a picnic with your loved ones.
- The amazing and unique creativity of the Bhadra reservoir is represented by many small islands present here.
- Enjoy the splendid sunset view from Bhadra Dam
- Witness the amazing view of the forests surrounding the dam. They are home to more than 120 varieties of plants and trees.
Entry Fee and Timings of Bhadra Dam
There is no charge/entry fee for visiting Bhadra Dam. It is open every day from 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
How to reach Bhadra Dam
The Bhadra Dam is around 20 km away from Tarikere, 31 km from Shimoga, 52 km from Kemmangundi, and 78 km from Chikmagalur. There are many ways to reach the Bhadra Dam as road connectivity and transportation facilities are very good.
By Air: Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore is the nearest airport to Bhadra Dam. It is at a distance of 380 km from Kempegowda International Airport. From the airport, you can hire a cab to Bhadra Dam. Road connectivity is very good and it will take around 5 hrs to reach Bhadra Dam from the Airport.
By Road: Bhadra Dam offers you very good road connectivity with both cabs and bus options from Tarikere, Shimoga, Kemmangundi, and Chikmaglau to reach here. You can avail the frequent bus services from these locations to the Bhadra Dam. You can also opt for state-run buses to travel to Bhadra Dam from Tarikere and Chikmagalur. You can also book a private cab from top car rental companies in Chikmagalur to reach the dam.
By Rail: Tarikere is the nearest railway station to Bhadra Dam. It is at a distance of 20 km from Bhadra Dam. You can hire a taxi from Tarikere to reach the Bhadra dam. You can also avail of bus services from the railway station to reach Bhadra dam.
Interesting facts about Bhadra Dam
- Bhadra Dam is built on River Bhadra which is a tributary of the river Tungabhadra.
- It is a gravity dam constructed with a composite of earth cum masonry structure
- The height of this dam is 59.13 meters above river bed level while the length of the river is 1708 meters.
- Bhadra Dam project is undertaken by the National Water Management Project.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Bhadra Dam
- Bhadra Dam is open for visitors for 24 hours yet it is recommended to visit it between 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Usually the flow and level of the river Bhadra are very high so please avoid going near the river.
- Bhadra Dam is a beautiful place to visit, please do not spit and throw the waste or garbage in the river or surroundings.
If you are looking out for a Chikmagalur tour package, then look no further! Book an all-inclusive tour package with us and experience the best sightseeing places of Chikmagalur. We at Chikmagalur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, curate holiday packages based on your budget, age group, number of people traveling together and other travel preferences. If you want to know more or just share your feedback, contact our travel experts by filling the Contact Us form.